No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any educational program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.
-Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972
What is Title IX
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (20 U.S.C. § 1681) is an all-encompassing federal law that prohibits discrimination based on the gender of students and employees of educational institutions which receive federal financial assistance.
"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..." 20 U.S.C. § 1681
Under Title IX, discrimination on the basis of sex can include sexual harassment, rape, and sexual assault. A college or university that receives federal funds may be held legally responsible when it knows about and ignores sexual harassment or assault in its programs or activities. The university can be held responsible in court whether the harassment is committed by a faculty member, staff or student.
Enforcement of Title IX
The United States Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights (OCR) is in charge of enforcing Title IX. Information regarding the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) can be found at: www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/index.html.
- Chabot Las-Positas Board Policy 3433: Prohibition of Sexual Harassment Under Title IX
- Chabot Las-Positas Administrative Policy 3433: Prohibition of Sexual Harassment Under Title IX
- Chabot Las-Positas Administrative Policy 3434: Responding to Harassment Based on Sex Under Title IX
- Chabot Las-Positas Administrative Policy 3435: Discrimination and Harassment Complaint Procedures
- Unlawful Discrimination Complaint Form
Title IX Training Presentations
- Part I: Before the Investigation
- Part II: Informal Resolutions and Investigations
- Part III: Hearings and Determination of Responsibility
Title IX Coordinator:
Director, Employee & Labor Relations
Phone: (925) 485-5200
Fax: (925) 485-5254
Until further notice, the Human Resources Office is open by appointment only. Employees and non-employees are encouraged to email and/or mail document(s) whenever possible. To better assist with identifying the appropriate contact in Human Resources, please refer to the Contact Us page.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.